The 'Janie Seddon' Shipwreck
The rusting iron hull is a local tourist attraction at Motueka. The coal-fired steamer was built in England in 1903 and served the Royal New Zealand Navy during both World Wars. She was based in Wellington and used in the protection of Wellington Harbour. After her military service, she was a fishing trawler for a New Zealand company. Upon retirement, the 'Janie Seddon' was anchored near the sandspit here at Motueka for protection. When the tide went out, she unfortunately sat on her anchor, puncturing the hull & filling with water. A scrap metal salvager dragged the ship across the estuary to the current location with the intention of dismantling her for scrap but went broke in the process.